The Saskatchewan NDP is asking the Minister of Health to answer for recent communications breakdowns in the handling of COVID-19, including the initial downplaying of the La Loche outbreak, which has now spread to Prince Albert and other communities in the Northwest, and the delay in notifying the public about the Lloydminster outbreak.

“With a growing number of local outbreaks, the Health Minister should be doing everything possible to provide the public with timely information they can trust,” said Meili. “Unfortunately, that trust was shaken last week. We need clear and complete answers for why the public was told repeatedly that the outbreak in La Loche was under control, why the decision was made to delay notifying people about the outbreak in Lloydminster, and what the Minister is doing to improve communication and coordination.”

The Saskatchewan Health Authority has said that the Ministry was notified of the Lloydminster outbreak on Sunday April 26th or Monday April 27th, but the public was not notified until Wednesday the 29th. The public was also told repeatedly that the La Loche outbreak was “under control” — an outbreak that has since infected dozens of people in that community and spread to Prince Albert, Beauval and other communities in the northwest.

“Minister Reiter needs to be accountable. Saskatchewan’s pandemic response requires clear, consistent communication and coordination, and that starts with clear answers for the decisions made to date.”

Latest posts

SARM Sounds Alarm on Healthcare Crisis Facing Rural Saskatchewan

SARM joins Carla Beck’s NDP in call for Grow Your Own staffing strategy

REGINA - Today, the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM) sounded the alarm on healthcare “staff shortages throughout rural areas of the province”. SARM called the situation a “crisis” and urged the provincial government to start up a Grow Your Own staffing strategy, something Carla Beck’s NDP has also called for.

Moe Driving Docs, Nurses out of Rural Sask: New CIHI data

Rural communities lost 21% of registered nurses since Scott Moe became Premier

SASKATOON - Today, the Official Opposition responded to new workforce data from the Canadian Institute of Health Information (CIHI). The most recent data shows that doctors and nurses have been leaving rural Saskatchewan communities in droves since Scott Moe became Premier in 2018.

Carla Beck to host townhall in Moose Jaw

Dear Moose Jaw Residents,

We hope this message finds you well. As a part of our ongoing commitment to listening to local voices and building made-in-Saskatchewan solutions, we are pleased to invite you to our upcoming Townhall Meeting in Moose Jaw on February 29 at the Timothy Eaton Centre from 7:00PM to 9:00PM.

Share this page