REGINA - Today, Athabasca MLA Buckley Belanger called on the provincial government to take immediate action to support people impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak in Fond-Du-Lac.
“People in Fond-Du-Lac are worried about the impact this outbreak is having on their community, and the provincial government has been missing in action,” said Belanger. “Northerners are tired of being ignored by the Sask. Party, and it’s time for action from the province to get this outbreak under control.”
Belanger called on the province to take four immediate actions to help people in Fond-Du-Lac:
- Immediately address food security into the community to ensure all residents have enough to eat and can safely stay home and reduce their contacts in the community
- Address collection of SaskPower bills and explore options for long term repayment or relief
- Immediately transport additional personal protective equipment into the community
- Support businesses and workers impacted by the outbreak, with particular attention to the high cost of air transportation and downturn in mining.
- Provide additional staffing and resources as necessary to ensure residents and health care staff have what they need to reduce virus transmission
Belanger said: “People living on Northern First Nations are Saskatchewan residents too, and the provincial government needs to step up to the plate and make sure that no one is left behind in the battle against COVID-19.”