SASK. PARTY FAILURE FORCES 472 WOMEN TO GO TO CALGARY FOR BREAST CANCER TESTS

For immediate release: April 11, 2025 

REGINA – The Sask. Party government has failed to provide basic breast cancer care in Saskatchewan, forcing 472 women to travel, paying partially out of their own pocket, to a private clinic owned by a Sask. Party donor in Calgary. 

These staggering out-of-province numbers were revealed by the Health Minister during a legislative committee meeting earlier this month.  

“This is not just bad planning – it’s a healthcare failure,” said Brittney Senger, Shadow Minister for the Status of Women. “The Sask. Party’s Calgary mammogram scheme is failing women, and they know it. 

“When you are referred for diagnostic procedures, you are staring down a potential cancer diagnosis. Many of these women are sick and scared and deserve so much better. 

“The Sask. Party is gambling with women’s health – and women are paying the price.” 

The private clinic in Calgary charges the government $2,000 per patient and the Health Minister admitted at committee that these procedures cost much less in the public system. The government’s own website shows that mammograms can cost as little as $135.60 in our public healthcare system. 

To date, this private clinic with Sask. Party connections stands to make more than $1 million from their exclusive sole-source contract. 

“It is inexcusable that so many women in Saskatchewan are falling through the cracks,” said Vicki Mowat, Saskatchewan NDP Shadow Health Minister. “You shouldn’t have to leave the province and pay out of pocket for something as important as breast cancer care.” 

– 30 – 

Latest posts

Scott Moe Continues To Downplay Cost-Of-Living Crisis As Saskatchewan People Report Highest Financial Anxiety In Canada
REGINA – As the Spring Session comes to an end, Scott Moe and the Sask. Party are refusing to pass more than 20 bills from Carla Beck’s team that would make life more affordable, bring needed changes to healthcare and so much more.

Sask. NDP Join Childcare Operators and Municipal Leaders Calling For Immediate Pause And Review As Funding Shortfalls Threaten Closures
REGINA — Carla Beck’s team alongside municipal leaders and childcare operators is calling on the Sask. Party government to go back to the drawing board on their failing childcare funding model which they say puts hundreds of critical childcare spaces at risk – particularly in rural communities already struggling with limited access.

Saskatchewan People Can’t Afford $26 Billion Disaster That Will Drown Them In Debt And Double Rate Hikes
REGINA — Carla Beck is calling on Scott Moe to fire his out of control SaskPower Minister, toss the catastrophic, $26-billion coal plan in the trash and go back to the drawing board.

Taxpayers Deserve To Know Whose Making Money Delivering Healthcare In Crumbling System
REGINA - As the Scott Moe government increasingly funnels record amounts of public money into for-profit healthcare, Carla Beck’s team is introducing legislation to ensure taxpayers aren’t being ripped off.

Share this post