REGINA - As COVID-19 cases continue to rise in Saskatchewan NDP Leader Ryan Meili called on the Premier to take the opportunity of a new week to change course and take real action to get control of the pandemic in Saskatchewan.
“Last week we learned a lot about what is going wrong in this province under this Premier and this government. The good news is that every day is a new opportunity to get things right,” said Meili. “Under Scott Moe, Saskatchewan has led the country in COVID-19 cases throughout most of 2021, we have the country's worst jobs record with 23,000 more workers out of a job than last year, and more people are leaving the province year after year. It’s time for a change in approach.”
Meili noted that at the April 8 Physicians Town Hall last week doctors were given stark evidence of this Premier’s failure to protect Saskatchewan families, including:
- Saskatchewan has continued with a new high case rate in Canada - for the past 11 weeks.
- Exponential growth provincially
- Testing rates in rural Saskatchewan are low and Variants of concern are rising
- Severity is increasing
- Hospitalizations and ICU admissions are rising
- Younger demographic with more severe illness
“This grim assessment was delivered April 8, before the two 300+ cases recorded Friday and Sunday,” said Meili. “The time has come for the Premier to reassess every aspect of the pandemic response plan, from the public health measures in place to the vaccine roll-out, and act to protect Saskatchewan families, our health care system and our economy.”