When our economy is so strong, it's unacceptable for this government to be failing to deliver the dignity and security that our parents and grandparents deserve.
Cam Broten and the NDP team are fighting for more spaces and more choices for our parents and grandparents; better staffing levels in care facilities; higher standards in public facilities, private facilities and for home care; and more support to help our seniors be independent in their own homes for as long as they want to.
Add your voice to the call for better seniors care in Saskatchewan.
Text of the petition:
We, the undersigned residents of the province of Saskatchewan, wish to bring to your attention the following:
- That many seniors are unable to find spaces in care facilities in their communities, with their partners or near their family;
- That many seniors are having to wait in hospital beds due to the lack of spaces in care facilities;
- That the provincial auditor found that many seniors care facilities do not have high enough standards of care;
- That we are hearing an increasing number of stories about the adverse effects of chronic understaffing in seniors care facilities, including unanswered calls for help, seniors being left unattended on toilets for hours, and seniors not receiving baths for weeks at a time;
- That the provincial government's response to the seniors care crisis has been inadequate as evidenced by the fact that the recent provincial budget included no new long-term care spaces for seniors and the Minister of Health's only proposed solution to chronic understaffing challenges was to ask Health Region CEOs to go on a tour of care facilitie
We, in the prayer that reads as follows, respectfully request that the Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan take the following action:
To cause the provincial government to immediately undertake meaningful steps to improve the quality of seniors care in our province, including creating more spaces and more choices for seniors; ensuring higher standards of care in public facilities, private facilities and for home care; ensuring appropriate staffing levels in seniors care facilities; and providing more support to help seniors remain independent in their own homes for as long as they desire.