While the Sask. Party’s billion-dollar carbon capture experiment was sputtering through failures and flaws, operating at only about 40 per cent of targeted capacity, Brad Wall and his government were working hard to cover up the disappointing reality.
“Sask, we’re fully operational & making history,” Wall tweeted on Oct. 1, 2014, in contradiction to the actual 40 per cent capacity reached and the penalties already piling up.
“CCS performance data exceeding expectations,” read a headline on a SaskPower news release, which also boasted on Feb. 11, 2015 that the project “has the capacity to capture up to one million tonnes of CO2 in 2015 and is on target to meet that goal.”
On Aug. 26, 2015, Wall toured American politicians through the carbon capture plant. On that day, referring to coal power generation, he said: “We have cleaned it up. At this facility operating right now, we have energy being produced from coal that is three times cleaner than natural gas, which is significant. We are capturing 90 per cent of the CO2 and the CO2 has a 99 per cent purity so we can turn around and market that to energy companies.”
Broten said that misleading information is problematic.Read more
2014 penalty jumped millions of dollars in just weeks
Just a day after the NDP revealed that serious problems with the Sask. Party’s carbon capture experiment cost the province a $12 million penalty, new internal documents show that penalty climbed fast – jumping upwards of $3 million in just one week in 2014.
“The government claims we’re already in for a $5-million to $6-million penalty, plus millions in lost revenue, for 2015 because their billion-dollar experiment isn’t working properly,” said Cathy Sproule, the NDP’s SaskPower critic. “But considering how fast last year’s penalty appeared to rise, Saskatchewan families need to know what we’re paying this year – because sadly, now we’re all bracing for more power rate hikes by the Sask. Party.”
The Sask. Party is cutting more than 3,420 surgeries this year, according to an admission the government made Monday.
Speaking to media about millions of dollars the Sask. Party cut from the surgeries budget this year, Health Minister Dustin Duncan said the province will do “close to” 86,000 surgeries in the current budget year. That’s compared to the 89,420 surgeries performed province-wide last year.
“Cutting back on surgeries means thousands of people will wait longer this year. They’ll be in pain longer, be frustrated longer and many will be off work longer,” said NDP Leader Cam Broten.
“Wait times have been going in the wrong direction fast since the budget cut in March. With all the waste in health care in Saskatchewan, I simply can’t understand why Mr. Wall decided to cut funding for surgeries. That doesn’t match my priorities, and it doesn’t match the priorities of Saskatchewan patients and families.”Read more
The Sask. Party quietly signed a $12-million cheque to Alberta-based oil company Cenovus for failing to deliver enough carbon dioxide from its carbon capture experiment – despite the fact that Cenovus didn’t need the CO2.
Secret government documents obtained by the NDP say that on Nov. 13, 2014, “The carbon capture facility has not been run at full capacity at this point, partially due to Cenovus not needing CO2 to that level…” Six weeks later, Cenovus sent SaskPower a bill for almost $12 million, as a penalty for not delivering enough CO2 during 2014.
“This money belongs to Saskatchewan families, but it seems the Sask. Party has forgotten that because this $12-million secret payment is disturbing,” said NDP critic for SaskPower Cathy Sproule. “The government's own documents show that Cenovus didn’t need the CO2, and that's why the carbon capture facility wasn't run at full capacity, but the Sask. Party still cut a $12-million cheque to Cenovus as part of a supposed penalty just six weeks later? That makes no sense. Clearly, The Sask. Party's secret deal with Cenovus is an abysmally bad one.Read more
As a result of the Sask. Party government's deep cuts to health care, the number of people waiting longer than three months for surgery has jumped by 50 per cent in just six months.
Last week the NDP revealed that the government is cutting $8 million from surgeries in Regina alone. Now, internal documents show that the government knew this funding cut would result in at least 1,000 fewer surgeries in Regina this year.
“It's alarming to see a 50 per cent jump in the number of people waiting more than three months for their surgery,” said NDP Leader Cam Broten. “Our surgeons and health care professionals had made good progress in tackling surgical wait times, but now we're starting to go far too quickly in the wrong direction as a direct result of the Sask. Party's cuts. I cannot understand how the Sask. Party’s priorities are so misplaced that Mr. Wall chooses to cut surgeries instead of cutting all the waste that his government continues spend our money on.”
Currently, there are 2,485 patients who have been waiting longer than three months for surgery in Regina and Saskatoon. That’s an increase from March, when 1,664 people waited longer than three months.Read more