NDP introduces bill for better schools

The official Opposition introduced The Student Bill of Rights Act Thursday, a bill to guarantee students better learning conditions by addressing things like class sizes, bullying and access to one-on-one help.

“It’s unbelievable and frustrating that after a decade-long boom, we don’t have one of the best school systems in the country,” said David Forbes, associate Education critic for the Opposition.

“Many schools are run down and literally crumbling. There’s no real action being taken to stop bullying in schools. And, this government cut hundreds of educational assistants and their numbers have never caught up with the growing student population. We’ve got kids in classes of 30 or more students with no one to turn to for one-on-one help when they need it. All students deserve better, whether they have exceptional learning challenges, or need to be challenged to excel.

“Saskatchewan has had record revenues, and this government has been spending every penny of it and then some, but leaving students without the resources and supports they need. That has to stop. It’s time to prioritize students and education.”

Read more

Of course SLGA should sell cold beer

New Democrats were pleased to hear renewed calls Friday for Saskatchewan’s liquor stores to sell refrigerated beer.

Cam Broten’s official Opposition has been calling for SLGA to be modernized. To continue to be profitable and to serve customers better, the NDP proposes better hours, greater product selection overall, more flexible pricing and a better selection of cold beer sales for SLGA stores. The NDP also proposes SLGA Express kiosks in grocery stores, and making changes to better support the work of Saskatchewan’s craft beer, wine and spirits makers.

Read more

NDP MLA opens community office in the far north

The MLA for Athabasca, Buckley Belanger, has opened a community office in the far north community of Black Lake, about 900 kilometres north of Prince Albert.

Read more

Wandering senior further proves unsafe staffing levels: NDP

Chartier to Duncan: how many seniors’ lives will be risked before you act?

News of another dangerous incident as a result of unsafe staffing levels has come out of a Moose Jaw seniors care home. The government again failed to take action to improve dangerously low staffing levels, even after the disturbing death of a resident in the same facility just three weeks ago.

Staff at Providence Place reached out to local media Thursday after a senior with dementia went missing Wednesday. The Moose Jaw Police Service was called, and officers located the wandering resident crossing a busy intersection.

The incident took place just weeks after another man with dementia, also left unsupervised at Providence Place, ate laundry detergent pods and died.

“How many seniors’ lives will be risked or lost while this government denies it has a seniors care crisis?” NDP Health critic Danielle Chartier asked. “Seniors at Providence Place, and at care homes throughout the province, are not getting the care and supervision they need to be safe.

Read more

Government ignored safety warning before senior’s death

New information from Providence Place’s union revealed Wednesday the government was warned of dangerous conditions two months before a resident’s tragic death in a Moose Jaw seniors care home.

“The Sask. Party government chose to ignore a crystal clear warning that the staffing levels at Providence Place were putting the safety of vulnerable seniors at risk,” said NDP Health critic Danielle Chartier. “A man died, and other seniors are being put at risk by low staffing levels. They need and deserve for this government to stop brushing the seniors care crisis under the rug.”

Every member of the board at Providence Place as well as the CEO of the care home, an affiliate of the government’s health region, each received a letter from SEIU-West in January 2015. The letter warned that staffing levels were “unsafe” and presented a hazard to the seniors living there.

Just two months later a resident with dementia wandered unsupervised into another resident’s room, ate laundry detergent pods he found there, and died.

Read more